I think you all know I am a massive Instagram addict by now, and I am often asked for Instagram tips, so I thought I would put together a little post sharing with you my top 5 tips for getting the perfect Instagram photo.
1. First & foremost you need a great phone with the best camera – I use the Samsung GS6 and coming from someone who has owned and used many different phones, the camera on the Samsung GS6 is the BEST! All of the photos you see on my Instagram are taken with the GS6, even the extreme close ups of my flowers are all taken on the GS6, the detail I can get with this camera is unreal and leaves me hardly ever using my ‘real’ camera!
2. Lighting, Lighting, Lighting – My next ‘absolute always’ tip for the perfect Instagram photo is to take your pics in natural light – if you are wanting to get those crisp, clear photos this is essential. It’s best if the light is not too harsh nor direct as you want to try and avoid shadows. There are of course going to be photos that you want to take at night but in all other circumstances use natural light ALWAYS!
3. Know your phone – make sure that you practice and play around with the phone’s camera and get to know it. With the Samsung GS6 the AUTO mode makes things super easy and will give you perfect quality photos, but changing the camera settings is also very straightforward and can be done with just a touch of the screen. The menus are all very straightforward and easy to follow, and PRO mode (which you cannot find in other Galaxy devices) allows you to manually adjust 5 items: ISO, exposure, white balance, focal length and colour tone, like a pro (using a DSLR camera).
4. Find your favourite apps and filters – Some of my favourite photo editing apps would be VSCO, A Beautiful Mess and Layout by Instagram. When it comes to filters, I like to tinker around with a few different options from both VSCO & Instagram or use the apps settings to correct & adjust my photos without actually using a filter. It is amazing what a little crop & straighten can do to a pic. Make sure you play around with these apps, filters & settings and find your own signature look.
Original image > straightened > cropped with a little brightening
5. Don’t ever use Instagram to take your photos – ALWAYS use your phone’s camera to take your photos and then upload to Instagram afterwards. The camera in Instagram will never give you the same result as your phone’s camera will, and with the GS6 camera the results are so good you do not want to miss out on them!!!
Lastly, and not really a tip so I won’t give it a number but HAVE FUN! Enjoy taking photos and sharing them with your ‘Insta’ friends! Take a moment to look around and notice the beautiful things around you, and get snapping away! ENJOY!
Thanks to Samsung for sponsoring this post.